Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday!



Top Ten Books I'd Give A Theme Song To



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created over at The Broke and the Bookish which I adore and therefore chose to adopt into my weekly blog posts! 

I only made it to nine this week..I am ashamed but also overtired/overthinking this post which is not okay, so here they are:

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini TaylorSomebody That I Used to Know by Gotye it’s obvious that not every part of every song will relate to a book in its entirety but there are many parts of this song that remind me of this story and the relationship between Karou and Akiva. “But that was love and it's an ache I still remember, you can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness like resignation to the end…”

Sevenwaters series by Juliet Marillier – Basically anything by Loreena Mckennitt, the few songs that come to mind are Cymbeline, Courtyard Lullaby and Samain Night. Mckennitt sings Celtic music and Marillier’s books are based on different folklore, the Sevenwaters series being specifically Celtic lore. The songs and Mckennitt’s voice are absolutely breathtaking.

The Night Circus by Erin MorgensternTime is Running Out by Muse, Part of the lyrics are: “I wanted freedom, bound and restricted. I tried to give you up but I'm addicted,” I think this is a perfect song for the relationship between Marco and Celia.

Eclipse by Stephenie MeyerStab My Back by The All-American Rejects I think this song title explains itself but while I was reading this book it was all I could think of, the love triangle between Bella, Edward and Jacob was a huge part of this story and that’s what the song represents as well.

Anita Blake series by Laurell K. HamiltonBad Reputation by Joan Jett and The Blackhearts because though Anita does have a sensitive side that she shows to a select few she is a BAMF and doesn’t care what people think/say about her.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer – By Myself by Linkin Park I think this song encompasses Mara’s feeling of helplessness and confusion over everything going on in her life. “I can’t hold on to what I want when I’m stretched so thin it’s all too much to take in. I can’t hold on to anything watching everything spin with thoughts of failure sinking in..”

The Child Thief by BromClocks by Coldplay I think this song was stuck in my head for this book because it was on the album for the newest Peter Pan movie. However it is still fitting to this story especially the lyrics “Am I part of the cure? Or am I part of the disease?”

The Black SwanAll Around Me by Flyleaf this song represents the relationship between Odile and her father though I know its usually interpreted as a romantic song the lyrics are fitting to their relationship as well. All Odile wants is love and acceptance from her father but instead he takes her power and suffocates her completely.

Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. WredeFairytale by Sara Bareilles Though the song is more about relationships I think it is fitting to Cimorene’s character and her lack of conformity as a typical princess. “Once upon a time in a faraway kingdom man made up a story said that I should believe him. Go and tell your white knight that he's handsome in hindsight, but I don't want the next best thing.”

What theme songs did you come up with this week?


12 comments:

  1. Listening to "Somebody That I Used to Know" right now -- great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sevenwaters, I love it! One of my favorite books too and the music you choose just captures the whole vibe of the book. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you include the lyrics you felt most matched the book, great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice for the Anita Blake series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY!! Love your song choices :D Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So great to see Muse on your list :-) I love love love Muse! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list!!! I really like the song SOmebody that I used to know! :) Awesome pick ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you have Anita Blake and Dealing with Dragons on the same list! Ha ha I like both but you couldn't get farther across the spectrum. Great songs for each, too! thanks for visiting YA fiction and whiskey sours :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! They are both my favorites which I guess says a lot for my reading habits!

      Delete
  9. Not sure about all the songs and books but I do know that this Top Ten Tuesday was tremendously fun to put together and to read others' lists. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Loreena's songs...I'll have to check out Marillier's books. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juliet Marillier is my favorite author, I'm sure you will love her!

      Delete